Department Of Finance
The Role of the Finance Department
The Department of Finance of the Council is divided into two sections and these are Revenue and Expenditure.
The Revenue Section plays the following roles;
- Issuing bills
- Issuing invoices and demand notices
- Issuing personal levy assessment to various Organization within its Jurisdiction
- Establishment of revenue check points
- Supervising revenue Agents/Collectors
- Ensuring that no revenue goes uncollected
- Receipting and banking all the revenue collected into the bank account
- Safeguarding all the revenue collected
The expenditure section has the following roles;
- Raising payment vouchers and other payment related documents
- Ensuring that before any payment is made all the necessary supporting documents are fully signed and attached to the payment voucher
- Entering all the income received and the payments into the cash books on a daily basis
- Producing the receipt payments accounts and bank reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Preparation of the cash flow forecasts on monthly and quarterly basis
- Preparation of the budget performance reports (variance Analysis)
- Preparation of the annual activity based budgets (ABB) using the medium expenditure (MTEF) system.
- Preparation of the final Accounts (Finance Statements) which include among others; the statement of Financial position ( Balance sheet) income statements, statement of comprehensive income, ledgers and the trial Balance
- Budgetary control: the section ensures that all the expenditure incurred is within the budget levels
- If for some reasons some votes are overspent there is need to give reasons and request for viament or supplementary budget should be made if approved by the Council
- Filling all the documents safely which pertain to payments for future reference and audit.